Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sunny, green, googly and curmudgeonly



I love this row of old shops on Bridge Road in Richmond (shame about the mess of tram and power lines).

It was an absolutely gorgeous day in Melbourne today. We've had more than 100 days of top temperatures above 20 degrees, but we've also had some very wet weather which means the parks, gardens and river banks near where I live are unseasonally lush and green. Normally at this time of the year, the grass is sun-dried yellow from months of hot weather.

Don't you just love it when Google knows exactly what you're looking for before you even finish typing it? I do. Before I wanted to check the difference between 'unseasonable' and 'unseasonal' and I didn't even finish typing the word 'unseasonable' before my search query popped up in the drop down box, a couple of entries down. For some reason, I find it comforting to know I'm not the first person to look something up, especially when it's not a common query...or at least I wouldn't have thought it was a common query. 

Once I wanted to know what dolphin poo looks like and when I typed the words "what does dolphin" my query popped up second in the drop down list. And it lead me to a video showing a dolphin defecating. Google win! The interwebs are ace.

But wait, there's more!

Today my 'unseasonal/unseasonable' query led me to discover the Dictionary Of Disagreeable English: A Curmudgeon's Compendium of Excruciatingly Correct Grammar. I like the sound of that. *reaches for credit card*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The googlie suggested searches are great. I now get annoyed when something does not come up. I would suggest that you keep your credit card in your purse until an English or Australian version comes along.

Leo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wayne said...

I like the idea of the dictionary too, at 0.98 new with used books starting at .01 there's one for every budget.

Learn to embrace the tram wires Jayne (figuratively speaking of course)

Jayne said...

Oooo, sounds like a good choice!

I hear the water volcano in the Botanic Gardens is finished?