Monday, July 8, 2013

Present and the call of duty

My camera arrived! I wasn't expecting it for at least another week, but it came today. When I saw the parcel I thought, "Oh, my boss has been shopping online again." But no! T'was mine!  Just in time for my birthday. I'm too tired from the gym to play with it tonight though. 

I've been called up for jury service. I know it's strange, but I'm a little bit excited about it. I've known several people who have been called up - and served - two or three times, but I've never once got the letter. Until now. At last! 

I'm not entirely sure why I want to do it. I like to think it's because I'm the civic-minded sort, but if I'm honest, it's probably partly for a break from work. I bet I won't find that so appealing if I end up on an interminable white-collar crime case - or worse, something emotionally gruelling.  But someone has to do it, right?  

I've had to defer it for now because I'll be overseas for part of the relevant period, and ultimately I suspect the fact I work in a law firm might either disqualify me upfront or render me undesirable. Oh well. 

1 comment:

Deidre said...

I've always kind of wanted to do Jury duty as well. I'm not sure why either, but I don't think they actually want me on the jury, I think I'm too emotional.