Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sneakers, little 'phut', train spotting, resistentialism

Well, that's my bonus spent.  I bought new sneakers today - a pair of black and white Saucony Shadows. (Men's sneakers again. I always prefer the men's colours, although in this case I needed something fairly neutral). When I decided to buy them, the sales dude (dreads, piecings) complimented me on my choice and said they were "kinda like a New Balance took a valium and gave you a warm hug". Hehe. 

A few weeks ago I bought a hand-held citrus press to extract lime juice for my refreshing gin and tonics with lime and mint. It's very satisfying squeezing as much juice out of half a lime as you can. It creates a vacuum so that the remains of the lime get stuck to the convex part of the press It makes a pleasing little 'phut' noise when it releases.  

I know I've posted a photo of this Foy's ghostsign on Swanston Street before, but I can't remember if I noticed the other sign that runs vertically down the side. 

 Foy's was a department store around the corner on Bourke Street 



Luke and I saw a ghost sign while we were on the train just about to reach Flinders Street station. STOP THE TRAIN! I NEED TO TAKE A PHOTO! I have to go into the city again tomorrow so I will catch the train and be prepared. Hopefully I will be on on of those trains that stops between Richmond and Flinders Street stations for no apparent reason. (I'm fairly sure I'm the only person who's ever said that.) Failing that, I might be able to get a decent shot from the other side of the train lines. 

Here's a list of 18 amusing old words that should never have disappeared from our language (except spermologer). I hadn't heard of any of these before, except for  groak. Wonder-wench!  Lunting! Resistentialism is my favourite. I'm sure my iPod dislikes  me because when I'm feeling down it always shuffles up the most depressing songs I own. That's resistentialism. (OK, maybe it thinks it's being sympathetic and helping me to  wallow in self pity...)

No comments: