Friday, October 16, 2009

A little out of the ordinary


I went to court today. No, I'm not a criminal - I'm a legal secretary. I had to go to the Supreme Court to collect something from one of the solicitors from our firm.

I don't often get to be inside a courtroom, but when I do, I always get a little kick out of it, perhaps from knowing that it's a place that many people never see in their life time (and mostly happily so). It's a little mysterious and esoteric with its rules and customs (I had to bow to the judge!) and funny wigs and gowns. And it's SO QUIET. I was like a dinosaur clomping about in my boots through the deserted paved courtyard on my way to court 6 today. I felt like I shouldn't really be there, though of course it is mostly open to the public.

But the best thing was that I got to see the court bulding from a different angle. I'd only ever seen it from the street, but today I got what felt like an insider's view - of the court yard and the building in the middle of the courtyard (above), which I think is the library. It's quite an imposing building and the lack of noise and other people only served to magnify that.

I have heard the library has one of Melbourne's finest interiors, but I wasn't able to find out for myself at its annual open day this year. Dang. But I must see it. Next year.

PS I don't want to speak too soon, but my bad mood seems to have lifted...feeling much perkier now.

2 comments:

Jayne said...

Fab photo!
Glad to hear you're feeling chirpier ;)

kazari said...

Glad you're feeling better!
I love that feeling of stepping inside a secret society : )