Friday, January 11, 2013

Recognised, cool change, mania

Still no Sydney update - I have to tell you about something else that happened on burger and gelati (burgelati?) night. After I left the shop with my blood orange and chocolate gelati and sat down at a table outside, a woman in the shop stopped Luke on his way out to ask if I was the owner of the Girl in Melbourne blog. He answered in the affirmative and then relayed this to me straight away. I was a little bit thrilled. I've been recognised! 

Then after she had finished her gelati, the woman came over to say hello herself! Her name is Brooke. She said she's a lurker at GiM. If you're lurking here too, Brooke, hello! You made my day. 

The weather in Melbourne was very cooperative today. The cool change came through in the afternoon, sending the temperature plummeting 10 degrees to 27 in 10 minutes, which allowed Luke and I to walk in comfort to Bridge Road. I think we're going to have to start planning our route to Grill'd and Fritz now because it's becoming harder to find 'new' streets. So soon! 

We didn't see much new this evening...oh, wait - we saw two nuns of Daughters of Divine Zeal on Church Street. The street name's not a coincidence - the imposing St Ignatius church sits high on the hill opposite the hostel run by the Daughters. I can't comment on how zealous they were. We didn't get close enough.

I also patted a friendly Russian blue cat that was sitting on the front porch of a blue house. I think his humans like blue. 

And I spotted this old sign on the back of the building Grill'd occupies. 




It says 'coke depot' on the upper right, but I can't make out the rest. Something ending in 'ggs' on the left maybe? 

When we were walking through Gosch's Paddock on our way home, there were dozens of bats flying overhead on their way to feast at the Botanic Gardens. I see them most nights - sometimes one or two flying right past our window - but I don't often see so many.  

My invention of burgelati above reminded me that I've recently come to suspect I have some kind of sickness characterised by a mania for making up portmanteau words. I can't help it. I just do it without thinking. For example, every time I see the 7Eleven ad for their Frozen Coke, inside my head I scream, 'FROKE! Just call it FROKE!' It's not a bad affliction. I quite enjoy it. Maybe I'll start a blog called Portmantopia... 


No comments: