Saturday, August 8, 2009

Spring: poised for action


What an absolutely gorgeous winter's day it was in Melbourne today! Yes, we need rain desperately, but if we can't have that, then I'll gladly take a day like today - blue skies, warm sunshine and a light breeze.

On an impulse I wandered over to the Botanic Gardens with my newspaper and spent several hours in the sun reading it, listening to my iPod and people watching. lt felt like a luxury to be able to sit outside in winter...although I was swaddled in my doonaparka. (It was too warm for it today, but I love wearing it.)

The best thing about my visit to the gardens was seeing - and smelling - the imminent arrival of spring. Spring! My favourite season, tip-toeing slowly into town. As soon as I walked through the gates I could smell the sweet scent of flowers on the breeze. Flowers are blooming and buds are budding.



There were some cygnets on the ornamental lake, which is looking far healthier than it has in quite a while, I was pleased to see. I even saw some bees buzzing about.


At the risk of repeating myself...man, I love the gardens. They never fail to lift my spirits (not that they were low to begin with).

More pics:






And also...

On the topic of flowers and glee, I was the lucky (and slightly red-faced) recipient of some red and white roses, delivered to my office yesterday. Squeeeeee! A girl can't get enough of that.

5 comments:

Ludwig said...

Hang on, you might've tacked that down the bottom there, but don't think that we don't notice! Who are the flowers from? May we ask? The new haircut is clearly working wonders! :)

Mandy said...

Oh dear! When my friends in the Southern Hemisphere start speaking about Spring, I know our very short Summer is almost over!

Jayne said...

Hi Ludwig...hehe. They are from a Twitter dude. I'm not saying any more publicly!

Hi Emm. All good things must come to an end. Autumn is nice too, though. Well, here it is. Maybe not so much there?

Mandy said...

:) Autumn can be nice here too. I just prefer hot climates and one day I will most likely move to Australia.

Julian said...

For some reason I keep thinking that Spring is a month further away than it is this year! I've definitely enjoyed the feel of the near-Spring weather we've been having recently. Bring on Spring, I say! (Although Autumn is my favourite season, truth be known. Over here, anyway. Not too hot, not too cold: just about right.)