Thursday, December 6, 2012

Handsome wunderpus and demented charm

The octopus book I'm reading continues to fascinate me. Did you know there is an octopus called the wunderpus photogenicus? There is. Really. I'm not making this up. Obviously somebody - a science person - did make it up, and clearly nobody pooh-poohed the suggestion. Which is awesome.  Apparently it is considered a rather handsome octopus. You can judge for yourself here.  

There are also numerous other flamboyantly named cephalopods - indeed, there is a creature called the flamboyant cuttlefish - but I'm not going to regale you in this post because I want to go and soak in the bath soon. 

I bought another book today - The Lost Art of Walking: The History, Science, Philosophy, and Literature of Pedestrianism by Geoff Nicholson. I'm a big fan of perambulation, but what sold the book to me was this sentence from the back cover:
Mr Nicholson relates his story with such brio and demented charm - Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times
Demented charm! Geoff Nicholson has written many books, including Flesh Guitar and Footsucker, which both seem to suggested he is a little demented. 



1 comment:

Lindy said...

Loved the wunderpus. Looked him up and he was very 'photogenicus'. I immediately thought that I must make this part of a research project and creative writing for school - then remembered I have retired. Never mind. If you don't mind I will mention the wonderful wunderpus on my blog - and give you credit of course!