Thursday, May 16, 2013

Eye test, new specs, surprise sign

I had my eyes tested today. I like visiting the optometrist, although I don't enjoy it as much now that the goggle-machine is computer-controlled. It was more fun back when the optometrist had to manually switch all the lense testing things. I don't know why. Something about the noise. 

I wasn't going to get new glasses, but then I spotted some frames with black and white striped arms. They shall be mine soon.  Yes, my obsession with B&W stripes has reached new heights.

While I was in the waiting room at the optometrist overlooking Little Collins Street, I saw a ghost sign. 

Baths! 

This is the back of the Royal Arcade, which was built in 1896. Baths?? That's weird. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I have learnt that this part of the arcade once housed Turkish baths! There was even fainter writing on the left of the building, but I didn't bother to take a photo of it because it was too hard to read. I have to go back to the optometrist for another test next week, so I'll have a look to see if it says 'Turkish'. 

I'm not working tomorrow. I have a day off for an appointment and I have a bunch of boring but essential stuff to do, but yay! A day off. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We learnt about the Turkish baths earlier this year when on a conducted walk. "We continued down Royal Arcade and what is now the second level of Koko Black was once the site of a men only Turkish Bath, right back into the 1870s. Plenty of shenanigans happened there. We exited from Block Arcade into "

Unknown said...

From: malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org

Library catalogue entry for you:

MS 13399 Author: Haig, Nelle, b. 1914- Title: [A history of the Royal Turkish Baths in Royal Arcade, Bourke Street, Melbourne, 1870-1929], [manuscript]. Access/Copyright: Available for reference. Date(s): 1992. Extent: 1.0 cm. Subject(s): Royal Arcade (Melbourne, Vic.)
Baths, Turkish
Typescripts.
Photocopies. Notes: Typescript and photocopies. Biographical/Historical note(s): The author is a granddaughter of John and Ellen Daly, proprietors of the Baths 1896-1920. The Baths closed in 1929 after the old boilers burst and flooded the Arcade and surrounding areas. ]
Location: Australian Manuscripts Collection - Ask at La Trobe Desk Call number: BOX 3910/1 Number of items: 1