Sunday, December 7, 2008

Another solo outing and dumplings and dimples


Wagons at the Spiegeltent


Remember how I wrote weeks ago about going to the movies solo and wanting to be braver about doing more stuff on my own? Well, guess what?! On Friday night, I went to see a band on my own. And I actually felt fine about it. Go, me!

I went to see my still current favourite band Wagons at the charmingly olde worlde Spiegeltent at the Arts Centre. They played in the 7.00 pm slot and the audience was seated. I sat three rows from the front and was pleased to see a couple of other people on their own.

I admit that I probably wouldn't have gone to see them on my own if they had played at a pub and come on stage at 11.00 pm like they did the last time I saw them. I would have felt very awkward hanging around on my own in that situation.

But this time, nope. I felt pleased with myself and the show was great. I think I may also be a little infatuated with the lead singer despite the fact he looks like a tall Hobbit. He's very funny and he has a deep voice. A sense of humour and a deep voice can overcome a lot, no?



After the show

I was going to go home after the show, but it was such a balmy night and the city was fairly bombilating (!) with silly season/summertime activity. So instead of going home I went to meet some people for drinks.

We ended up at the same dumpling house I have written about here before and it didn't disappoint - as well as a fill of dumplings for $12 each, we were treated to the usual brusque service ("You want more pork dumplings!!!!) and the double rendition of Happy Birthday at high volume. Everyone in the upstairs of the restaurant sang along heartily, although I'm not sure anyone was there to celebrate a birthday. I'm convinced it's a nightly ritual. I think I'm going to go there every night for a week to confirm.


Cheesy pleasure

I visited friends this weekend who have a calendar from a winery on the back of their toilet door. Every time I went in there, my eyes zoomed in on the words "For extreme pleasure, visit our cheese room..." and I couldn't help smiling. It must be very special cheese.

My friends also have an adorable 22-month-old son who is a gorgeous little ball of blond hair and giggles and dimples. He's started talking since I last saw him and I think he even said "Aunty Jayne" today. Awww. So cute.

A frog astride a toy motorbike!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know what you are talking about. When I was on my own for a year, I made myself do things on my own. It took a lot of psyching up, and I started slow and sat in an outdoor coffee shop and read a book. Then a movie, then a restaurant, and finally a show at a pub. It gets easier, and it's a lot fun in the end.

Unknown said...

Yeah ... good for you!! For about a year, once, I decided to do a lot of things on my own. I did it because I needed to know that I would be OK if I ever found myself alone in the world. And as it turned out, my employer sent me to work in a city, far from home, all by myself, for two months. After my whole experiment, I can't say that I would choose to do things alone but ... I can. The most difficult was going to restaurants alone ... not because I felt bad ... but because my being alone made others feels bad. I got so many invites to join couples and families. In the end, I learned that I can do just about anything by myself.

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Jayne said...

Hi Urban Panther. Yes, I definitely think going out solo is something you need to ease your way into. I've managed the movie and the dinner (although only once and not to the point of being comfortable with it), but I'm not ready for show at the pub yet.


Hello Small Footprints. That's a very empowering thing, knowing you can get by on your own if you have to, even if you wouldn't necessarily choose to live that way. I'm comfortable doing a lot of things on my own - some things I prefer to do on my own - but I still have a little way to go. I guess I just have to get out there and do it.

Anonymous said...

Going to a movie or restaurant alone? I don't really see what the big deal is. I've been doing this for years.

Or is it different for a woman? (i.e. you need to be with someone, because you're more worried about your personal safety)?

Just askin'

- Friar

Jayne said...

Hello Friar. I guess going out solo isn't a big deal for a lot of people. For me it has nothing realyl to do with being a woman alone - I guess I am just too concerned about other people thinking I am a friendless loser! Odd really, since in many other ways I don't care what people think of me.