Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cow eyes...and big plans for 2009

OK, this is a baby cow

I made eye contact with a cow today. It's not every day you get to look into the big brown eyes of a cow on the fringe of the city.

Unfortunately, the glee of the cow gaze was momentary because the cow (probably a steer actually) was crammed into the back of a truck with a lot of other cattle most likely on its way to an unpleasant fate...

I have decided I'm going to become a vegetarian next year. Not just from looking into the cow's eyes today - I've been thinking about it for some time, for numerous reasons, including animal welfare.

I would start now, but I have an allergy elimination diet to get out of the way, hopefully early in the new year. It's a damn hard diet to do without adding in the restrictions of vegetarianism.


New year, new plans

I don't now about you, but I'm kind of over 2008 now. I am, however, enjoying thinking ahead to next year and pondering the plans and projects I have in mind.

Apart from knocking over the allergy elimination diet (which will deliver better health and more energy) and becoming a vegetarian, I am also planning to -

* find a new job;

* possibly find a flatmate;

* wade back into the dating pool; and

* launch a new photo blog.

I am also in the midst of compiling a list of 101 things to do before I turn 40 (which is about 3.5 years away). I've got about 55 things on it so far, from places I want to visit, activities I want to do, things I want to learn, creative projects I want to complete, fitness and self-improvement goals, and random silly stuff, like getting purple highlights in my hair!

I have fallen in love with the idea of having projects (and the fact that the 101 things project comes in the form of a list is even better!). I'm hoping that the joy of next year's projects won't only be in crossing things off lists or achieving goals - simply having a project to think about and work on and give extra purpose to my non-working life pleases me.

What are your plans for 2009? Do you have any projects you're working on or planning?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

2009 ... lets' see. Continue my gym attendance. Put up my newly designed blogsite. Sell my first e-book of short stories. Renovate our bedroom. When Spring comes continue our patio renovations. Oh, and quit the job I hate!

Unknown said...

Going "veg" is a wonderful idea ... for your health .. for animals ... and for the planet. When we decided to become vegetarian, we did it "cold turkey". I told myself that I'd try it for 30 days and honestly thought that I'd miss meat. But 8 years later, I've never looked back or craved animal products at all. There are so many good resources for making a veg diet interesting. So good for you!

As for me ... I don't usually set up New Year's resolutions ... but I always look forward to a new year and all the possible surprises that come with it!

Take Care!
Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Carla said...

I hope veg works out for you! Since I can’t eat soy, legumes, gluten, sugar and a few foods, I had a difficult time when I did it. I look forward to following your progress though!

Jayne said...

Hello Urban Panther. You have some pretty big plans for 2009 too. The sale of your e-book is particularly exciting. I will keep an eye out.

Hello Small Footprints. I knew you would approve of my vego plans ;). I have been meaning to check out the links on your page ever since I first visited, but haven't managed to yet (another thing to put on my holiday to-do list). I think I am going to ease myself into it by cutting back gradually. I really do love meat, but my conscience says no more!

I hadn't really thought of my plans as new year resolutions, just plans really

Hello Carla. That really sucks! I have many diagnosed food intolerances too and it's possible my allergy elimination diet will uncover some more. I hope it doesn't scuttle my vego plans.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the veg decision :)

i've been one for ummm 26 years now (crikey!) and gluten intolerant for 3 years.

the elimination diet sucks ass as a vego, get that out of the way first for sure!

BTW, my new job is at an awesome restaurant that, as well as the *regular* menu, has vegetarian, gluten free, AND GLUTEN FREE VEGETARIAN!!! Praise be!!! I am in restaurant heaven! Now i just need a day off so i can actually go in and EAT!!! :D

Jayne said...

Hi Victoria. I forgot you were vegetarian. Perhaps you can share some of your vegetarian and gluten free recipes with me when the time comes?

And 26 years! Wow! Was this a decision you made independently as a child? If so, that's pretty impressive.

Your new restaurant sounds impressive too. More and more places like this are popping up, which is great to see. Do you get to have a meal there during your shift? Not as enjoyable as having a nice sit down meal front of house though.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was an independent decision (one i had been fighting my mama about for years!!!) It was always a texture/taste thing for me...I guess I am just weird that way, but eating any kind of animal flesh, even fish, just felt weird in my mouth, like I had taken a bite out of a person. I was like that from a really early age, there were many many dinner-time blues in our house hahaha!

I have some really nice recipes I can email you, once you know what is *safe* for you :)

Anonymous said...

I too am vegetarian have been for nearly 4 years, started reading some buddhist teachings about the sanctity of all life, and decided I didn't need to eat dead animals to eat well.Hope you sort out your diet soon and get to enjoy all the very tasty vegie recipies,don't forget you have to tell airlines in advance if you want vegie food onboard.I make curry lentil vegie soup that always gets requests for the recipe.

Jayne said...

Hi again Victoria. I wish that I had issues with the taste and texture of meat, but sadly...I do find it very tasty. God I hope I can do this....

Hello Abbeysmum. The curry lentil vegie soup sounds sensational. Did you go cold turkey (tofu?) or ease yourself into vegetarianism? I have been reading quite a bit about the ethics and environmmental impact of modern agricultural practices and have reached the point where I know I have to stop eating meat.

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that
"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."
I'm the kind of person always making plans, and nothing happens quite the way I planned. I have realized acting is better. Ok - I should plan, but then I should act. A plan without action is plain nothing.