OK, the time has come to hit you with the list of funny, weird and cool words I have harvested from Foyle's Philavery and Rinkworks. It's a fairly lengthy list, so I am splitting it in two.
Part one -
* Amaneunsis - secretary. Henceforth I am going to refer to myself as a Legal Amaneunsis.
* Abligurition - extravagant expenditure on food and drink.
* Agrypnia - sleeplessness.
* Battlefang - to attack with fists or fingernails. So much more evocative than "fight".
* Beek - to warm or make comfortable, to bask in the warmth of the sun or a fire
* Beshrew - to curse.
* Bombilate - to make noise through vibrating, to buzz.
* Cacoepy - means mispronunciation and is in itself a word that seems ripe for mispronunciation.
* Callypgian - having buttocks that are beautifully proportioned of finely developed.
* Cataglottism - kissing with the tongue. Hmmm...doesn't sound very erotic, does it?
* Charientism - expression of a disagreeable thing in a pleasant manner - eg a gracefully veiled insult. I love that there is a word for this!
* Contrectation - sexual foreplay, compulsion to caress the opposite sex. Again, doesn't sound very pleasurable - more like a medical procedure!
* Crapulous/crapulent - hungover. Interestingly, this word is not related to 'crap'. It comes from the Latin 'crapula' which means intoxication and from Greek kraipale 'dunken headache'. Crap has a middle English origin.
* Cucumiform - shaped like a cucumber. I just like the sound of this (kyoo-kyoomi-form).
* Dasypygal - having a hairy bottom.
* Dentiloquy - the practice of speaking through clenched teeth. I LOVE this word.
* Eesome - pleasing to the eye. This word amuses me. If you compare it to similar words like troublesome and frolicsome...if you take away the "some" they are still proper words. But what's "ee"?!
* Eudemonic - producing or conducive to happiness and wellbeing.
* Expergefactor - something or someone that wakens a sleeper (eg alarm clock).
* Feculent - pollluted, fetid, filthy, containing sediment or faecal matter. I like this word because it perfectly evokes ickiness. It would be an excellent insult...
* Fernticle - freckle.
* Hirple - to hobble or walk lamely. A wobbly sounding word for being wobbly.
* Kalopsia - the tendency of things to appear more beautiful than they actually are...Beer goggles! Also refers to the way a person can appear more attractive to their loved ones than they would to the objective beholder.
* Katzenjammer - a loud, discordant noise; also, a hangover; also, a state of depression or bewilderment. Hmmm, bit of a jack of all trades, that one. I love it because I reckon it would make a good faux swear word. "Oh, kaztenjammer!!"
Look what I found!
I am bombilating with glee, people! I have discovered a site that brings together two of my loves - words and list writing. Awesome!
I was trying (in vain) to find the proper pronunciation of cacoepy, when I bounced onto Wordie which is all about um...words and it allows you to compile your own lists of words - e.g. words you love or words you hate (er...I have already compiled these lists on listography but I have ideas for other lists already).
I am in anal retentive nerd heaven! I haven't joined yet, but I will very, very soon. I've subscribed to the blog though.