Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Moon and money from Kevin


Tonight when I was walking through the park in the dark on the way home from the gym, I looked towards the city and saw a big, yellow sliver of a moon hanging above it. My photo doesn't really do it justice. But it was cool.


Let the stimulation begin!

Woohoo! I got my $900 from the Ruddster today! (For non-Aussies, the Federal Government, headed by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, is giving cash hand-outs to people in an effort to stimulate the ailing economy.)

I am going to buy a new mattress, one of those ones with the big, fat pillowy tops. It will probably make it even harder to get out of bed in the morning, but hopefully I will feel better when I do. And in the interests of actually stimulating the economy, I'm planning to purchase an Australian-made mattress from a small business.

I'm also going to buy some bouncy new gym shoes since my old ones are getting too worn. They're only about 15 months old, but I do walk about 30 kms a week in them. I love new runners. Bouncy bouncy bouncy!


Coincidence

Tonight when I checked my bank balance to confirm the arrival of my $900, I noticed the balance of my account was almost exactly the same as the available credit on my credit card. The dollar amount was identical, and the cents only about 40 cents difference. Weirdly, that's the second time in the past week or so that that's happened.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow ... congrats on that stimulus check! I love that you're buying from a local business ... not only good for the local economy but good for the planet, as well! What are you going to do with your old mattress? Here, we aren't allowed to sell them so we offered ours free in Craigslist. The mattress was in good shape and within minutes (literally) was snatched up. A nice couple got a free, almost new mattress, box spring, etc. ... the landfills didn't get it ... and we felt great! Smiles all around!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

dam buster said...

Ahh well done FL. Hope you get fully stimulated by the new mattress.

The last round of money was astounding. I was at a large electronics shop and you should have watched the plasma tv's walking out the door. It was shocking.

Katrina said...

Leon and I recently got anew mattress and its wonderful! We have the pillow top and it is hard to get out of in the morning.
Extra money is always nice. Our stimulus went to fixing the house. It didn't do much for our economy. Here in California our unemployment rate is around 12%. Many of my friends...and my husband for that matter are jobless at the moment. Fortunately we are very frugal and have been able to get by on just one income. But if the company I work for doesn't see an upward trend in income soon, that could soon change.

Jayne said...

That's a great photo :)

Jayne said...

Hey small footprints. I usually try to support small, local businesses when I can - not always possible, but it's good to know I can get an Aussie made bed.

I was going to give the old mattress to charity - it's over 10 years old but it's still in reasonable nick - but then I saw on the website of the place I'm buying the bed from that there's a company that collects mattresses for recycling. I suppose the charity option is more earth-friendly, but I'll keep the other one in mind.

Hey db. Well done? On not earning enough money to miss out on a bonus from Kevin? ;)

I suppose buying electrical stuff does help meet the aim of the stimulus package, although it would all be imported goods, I suppose. My TV is close to 15 years old!

Hey Mrs BB. Yep, pillow top. That's what I want.

Wow, 12%. That's tough. When do they expect the economy over there to recover? Hard to know what to believe though - the forecasts change from day to day, from pundit to pundit.