Saturday, May 30, 2009

The rise and rise of Wagons

On the way home from the gym today


I was very chuffed indeed to see my fave band, Melbourne alt country rockers Wagons, gracing the cover of The Age's entertainment guide yesterday. Woohoo!

Not only that, but the story inside called their latest album, The Rise and Fall of Goodtown, "arguably the finest Australian release so far this year". High praise...or maybe it's been a ho-hum year for Aussie music?

Either way, it's a nice feeling when a band you love starts to get some mainstream attention and acclaim. Maybe it's because it allows me to say, "Oh, yes. Yes, I liked them before they were well known. Yes, my taste in music is quite visionary." Or just think it anyway!

In the interview, frontman Henry Wagons talked about how they played to only two people at Mojo's in Hamilton on their last tour. That's the same place I'm going to see them on my Wagons West Birthday Extravaganza Road Trip Down Memory Lane in July. Looks like my friend Anthony and I won't have to worry about tall people standing in front of us and talking through the gig then... It'll be like Henry is serenading me...er, us.

The itinerary for the trip has been roughly planned and I have booked accomodation in the little town of Dunkeld at the foot of the Grampians for the Saturday night after the gig.

I'm really looking forward to the trip, even more so since reader Jayne directed my attention to the Fading Victoria website which features beautiful photos of old buildings, bridges and machinery, mostly in the country, which have seen better days. It made me all yearny for the country, which is not a feeling I have often (despite being country born and bred).


New toy

Got me a shiny new purple iPod today. Yay. My old one was on its last legs.


More money?!

How great is it when you discover you have way more money in the bank than what you thought? Doesn't happen often, but it happened to me last night.


Milo please

I had dinner at a Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown last night which serves Milo (hot or cold). How cute and homey. I was going to order it, but we went elsewhere for hot chocolate and lemon tart.

1 comment:

Diana said...

ah you have the best views where you reside!