Monday, September 21, 2009

The joy of blogging

Curly cloud!

I can't believe I forgot to mention the best thing about yesterday!

Some of you might know that I've been writing a blog on Myspace since 2006 which has chronicled the ups and downs of my life. Among many other things, I have written about my adventures in online dating and the rollercoaster that was my previous relationship.

I've gathered a small but loyal band of readers on there and yesterday I got an email from one of them in response to the news that I was planning to move the blog from Myspace to Blogger.

She said that she read them back when she was "single and lonely" and struggling to balance life as a single mother to a special needs child.

"I would creep into my little room, while my son slept soundly and read your dating adventures and laugh. It was all exciting and I got a bit addicted at one stage of my boring life as I never got out that much because of [her son's condition], and my work and just basically balancing life as a single mum....So thanks for making me laugh and maybe feel a bit sad reading your blogs...I feel your frustration sometimes, and happiness. Thank you."

I was so touched. Blogging - particularly personal blogs - can be a very self-indulgent exercise, but it's so gratifying to know that your ramblings mean something to someone else, even if they are just a distraction and some light relief at the end of a hard day.

It's a wonderful feeling knowing your words - something you have created - can make an impact.

3 comments:

a work in progress said...

as you know i've been an avid frisky-follower for a couple of years now, and i for one am eagerly anticipating the unveiling of the all new frisky adventures!

i love your honesty and candid writing, filled with humour and, at times, pathos. thankyou so much for continuing to let us out here in the ether peek into your world - on ALL your blogs :)

hugs oxoxoxo

Ludwig said...

It most certainly can. I, for one, get a tingle just reading your blog (s) and one of the reasons I follow this one, is because it's a positive place to be and it's heartwarming to read your efforts to be gleeful. I follow a lot of blogs, here and there, on the infinite spaces of the Net, but some I have discarded as mandatory reading due to their troubled, problematic and difficult tone. I come here, because it's light and breezy, whilst no means supericial. Well done. Happy birthday Glee!

Julian said...

It definitely would be a good feeling. That's really touching!

I heartily support the proposed move, and always enjoy reading your blog, so don't stop any time soon. :) :)