Wednesday, February 24, 2010

MSO at the Bowl and new shades



I saw the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra at the Myer Music Bowl tonight. It's the third time I've seen them perform in under six months and I think this was my favourite of the three performances (not because it was free either!).

It was less formal, the crowd was more diverse, I was familiar with some of the pieces (excerpts from Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream) and there's just something nice about listening to music in the open air, especially with the city as a backdrop and the sun setting over your shoulder. 

I'm going again on Saturday night for the final of the series of four free concerts.

I got me some prescription sunglasses. Yay. I had been using an old pair of glasses with clip-on sunglasses, but they're small and didn't cut out enough glare, so I decided it was time for a proper pair of prescription ones. It's such a relief not to be Squinty McSquint anymore. And they're kinda cool too...

What's also pleasing is that after claiming on my insurance, they only set me back $140. Not bad for a pair of Vera Wang prescription sunglasses, eh? I reckon I must be one of the few people who gets back more than they spend on private health insurance (but then I only have extras, not hospital).

No comments: