Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Breaking through, squawking, laughing



It was a gloomy (but mild) afternoon in Melbourne. It felt a little ominous, like the calm before the storm, but so far no rain has fallen.  As I was walking home, the sun weakly and briefly broke through the clouds before disappearing again.  

As I was crossing Morell Bridge, a cheeky cockatoo landed on top of one of the lamps and started squawking loudly, seemingly at a woman who was standing nearby. It was looking down at her and really letting rip. Maybe it wanted a cracker? She ignored it, but I took a photo.



In between squawks 

Speaking of Morell Bridge, I must remember to tune into ABC1 at 8.30 on Sunday night to watch The Mystery of a Hansom Cab because some of it was filmed near Morell Bridge. The  telemovie is based on the 1886 novel of the same name, which was a best-selling  murder mystery set in Melbourne. (I haven't read it.)

***

I forgot to mention something funny Luke said to me the other night. I haven't laughed so much in ages. In fact, I didn't just laugh; I guffawed. 

Luke (snuggling up to me): You know what you smell like?

Me: No, what?

Luke: A cricket bat.

Me: Bahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc. 

(For the record, what he could smell  was rose hip oil, not linseed oil, which cricketers used to use (and possibly still use) to condition their bats.)

***

Here's a little something for the word nerds among you. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the book about a year ago and it was a great read. I am looking forward to the tv adaption and I hope I have forgotten 'who dun it'.