Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tetris, cupcakes and Bye Bye Love

I downloaded Tetris to my phone over Christmas and I'm hooked on it. I play it every night before bed. Every time I say, "Just one game before bed"....pffft.

I don't know what it is, but I've always found plugging those little coloured  blocks in to make uninterrupted rows very satisfying. I particularly like it when the blocks appear in exactly the right place to fill the gap and I don't need to manipulate them in any way...which is sort of not the point of the game, but there you go. 

I also love the sound effects. Normally I hate game sound effects so I turn them off (not that I'm a big gamer, which is probably obviious since I'm addicted to a simple old-school game like Tetris!), But the sound effects in this game tickle my fancy - there's clickety-clicks like an old typewriter (not unlike the noise of an iPod clickwheel, which I've professed my love for here before) and tiny wooshing noises. I don't know why, I just like them.

Today was Tuesday Treats day at work. Someone brings in something for the department to eat in exchange for a small donation to charity (usually Berry Street). Normally the treats are full of gluten so I avoid them, but today I thought, "To hell with it, I want a chocolate cupcake". Then later I found out they were gluten free! Hurrah! There are two celiacs in my department - it's so nice not to be the only one with dietary restrictions.

I'm still listening to Simon and Garfunkel. It's probably one of the least profound songs they perform, but I love Bye Bye Love. It's the acoustic guitar at the start, the crowd clapping and the bass guitar that get me. Here tis: (Incidentally, my parents had that album when I was a kid so there's a nostalgia factor at work here as well.)



Off to Castlemaine tomorrow! Wheeeeeeeeeee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have kept my phone from two phones ago because it had Tetris on it. I have tried to install Tetris on my subsequent phones without success. Have a great day in 'the maine'.