Monday, January 3, 2011

Home, sweet home



It's great to go away, but it's always wonderful to get home. Hello, Melbourne! Hello, flat! Hello, bed! I missed you. I had a restful time away, but now it's time for the productive bit of my break - I have an extensive list of stuff to do before I go back to work next Monday. I started today by clearing out six bags of clothes and clutter from my bedroom (and disturbing a huntsman spider, which I safely deposited onto the fire escape with the aid of a mop).

I arrived home to find the photos I'd had printed onto canvas had been delivered. Yay!  Believe it or not, these are the only photos of mine that I've ever had printed for display at home. They look great hanging in my lounge room. I feel inspired to get more photos done now, but it's so hard to choose which ones. (Oh, if you're wondering, the photos are close-ups of reflections of the Skywheel on the Yarra River at night). 

I bought some fresh basil today and now my kitchen smells like basil. I just love the aroma and there's no substitute for fresh basil when it comes to taste either. I'm making a pizza - well, I'm topping a pre-prepared gluten-free base with ham, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, basil and pine nuts. I'm currently roasting pumpkin and garlic for the pizza sauce. 

While at the supermarket I was a party to someone else's little moment of glee and it was just about as good as having one of my own. I asked for 250 grams of ham at the deli and when the staffer placed the meat on the scales, it was EXACTLY 250 grams. All right! She was pretty pleased with herself and rightly so.  

6 comments:

a work in progress said...

welcome home!

nice pictures! what size did you get done?

Oh and Happy 2011!

Jayne said...

Thanks, AWIP! There's no place like home....

The pictures are quite small - only 20x30cm - because I wanted the matching set of 3. For a single picture, I'd go bigger.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are up to speed with the Nylex clock.

Jayne said...

No! I wasn't! Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my fingers crosed.

Gillian said...

Yay....welcome home. Lovely pix Jayne...lovely pix. There's nothing quite like your own place.

I'm impressed that you managed to dispose of 6 bags of clothes and clutter so quickly.

Love the smell of fresh herbs in the house.I have some basil in the pot (from Woolies) and it's actually growing quite well!

Look forward to seeing lots of pics, and hearing some stories from your time away. It's been very quiet without you. xx

Jayne said...

Hey Gill.

Thanks. Well, I cleaned out 6 bags of stuff; I haven't actually got rid of them yet. They're being collected Friday.

I should plant the basil I bought too - I got the plant one with the roots still attached. I just put it in a jar with a bit of water. Will have to go down and nick a bit of dirt from the postage stamp-sized front garden.

I hardly took any photos - see my other blog for the only one worth sharing. It was a very quiet holiday spent mostly sitting on my butt reading.