Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A day off...and the awesomeness of Wagons


Aaaah, public holidays. Ya gotta love em. Today is Melbourne Cup Day, a day off for the horse race that is the pinnacle of the city's spring racing carnival.

It's dubbed the "race that stops a nation" but it didn't stop me lazing away the entire afternoon in the gardens in the sun (and er...eating a Cadbury's Dairy Milk Chocolate bar while reading about the evils of the sugar!).

I had a nice sleep-in this morning after a late-ish night out last night to see the Wagons gig at the Northcote Social Club. I was not disappointed - it was sensational. I absolutely loved it. I can't pick a highlight, it was awesomeness wrapped in stupendousness and rolled in chocolate sprinkles.

I plan to see them again at The Famous Spiegeltent in a month, which will be a double delight - great music and a special venue.

The support acts last night were pretty good too, especially Sydney's Dead Letter Chorus (below). I'm totally loving Aussie music right now.






Melburnians, what did you do with your day off (if you got it)? Anyone been to a great live gig recently? What about to the Spiegeltent?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You have the best music recommendations! Glad you enjoyed your day off!

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Julian said...

"it was awesomeness wrapped in stupendousness and rolled in chocolate sprinkles"

I love this description. :) :) (It's also the only description of something non food-related that's made me think "delicious"!)

Sounds like you had a nice (if slightly ironic) day. :) I went up into the Dandenongs for a picnic and a wander with some friends, which was pleasant, sometimes energetic, sometimes peaceful, and a lot of fun. :) :) Somebody nearly hit a small kid with a large stick they were messing around with at one point, but it was all okay in the end. ;)

(The most *ahem* energetic member of the group was banging a large stick on the ground, while singing a complete rendition of "I've been working on the railroad", then accidentally threw it in the wrong direction at the end, narrowly missing a small kid nearby. The last bit of the video of her has a brilliant "oh &@*^!" expression, with her hands over her mouth. :) )

Julian said...

Glee report: Glee is going in for a job interview, feeling it went well, being told you got the job about 2 hrs later (interviewer was "very impressed"), and knowing you'll be heading up to Sydney for a week of training on Monday, all expenses paid, when you're the sort of person who loves to travel. (I'll also be staying 'til Sunday, so I can see a bit of Sydney while I'm there. :) )

Glee is feeling that everything is coming together well, and heading in roughly the direction you had in mind, even if you're not entirely sure where some of it's going to end up! :) :)

Jayne said...

Hi small footprints. I'm glad you enjoyed the music - its a nice feeling when others like the things you like.

Hi Julian. Any mention of chocolate puts the word "delicious" in my mind!

Sounds like you made the most of your day off. (I haven't been to the Dandenongs in aaaaages.) Glad the hijinx didn't end in tears.

And congrats on your new job and all-expenses paid trip to Sydney. It's the start of a new chapter for you - and not knowing how it ends is part of the fun. Enjoy!

Julian said...

"Any mention of chocolate puts the word "delicious" in my mind!"

I think that's the reason, yep. ;)


"And congrats on your new job and all-expenses paid trip to Sydney. It's the start of a new chapter for you - and not knowing how it ends is part of the fun. Enjoy!"

Thanks. :) Agree on all points! :)