Friday, June 8, 2012

Trivia highlights, long weekend, dotty

The Fairy Tree in the Fitzroy Gardens

I went to my old work's trivia night last night. It was fun and we were pleased with finishing in the middle of the field, considering we were four people short and had no sports-loving men or brainiac lawyers on our team. Another team (all lawyers) from the department I used to work for was triumphant after many years of finishing second or third. 

Some highlights: 

* Q. Where does Paddington Bear come from? Of course, most of my team said 'England', except for Lauren, who was adamant he was from Peru. Say what? Surely that was the wine talking? She said this question came up in quiz on a Contiki tour she did once and she'd remembered it because it was so unexpected. She was insistent, so we wrote 'Peru' on our answer sheet. A. Peru!  Or Deepest darkest Peru, to be precise. Like Lauren, I don't think any of us will forget that any time soon! 

* Q. Which German physicist came up with the idea of putting mercury in thermometers? We were drawing a blank, then I took an educated guess and suggested Fahrenheit. It's  German, it's related to temperature. And yay! It was right. 

* I also took a stab at naming the monk who perfected cuvée in relation to making champagne. I don't know much anything about wine, but for some reason I remembered  'Dom' was a monkish word and also related to booze (eg the liqueur Dom Benedictine), so I suggested Dom Perignon. Also correct. 

It was nice to catch up with my old work buddies and also to tell the HR manager how much I loved my new job! 


Weeeeeekend!

Monday is a public holiday in Victoria so I have a three-day weekend coming up. I don't have anything special planned, but I do have a to-do list. I've already done a bunch of domestic chores tonight to free up more time on the weekend for fun - crafty stuff,  maybe a yoga class at the gym (if I can drag myself out of bed early enough), perhaps a photo excursion.



Sleep talker

Last night in his sleep, Luke told me I look good in polka dots. I did wear a spotty skirt yesterday.


No comments: