Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Another offer and long weekend

What the? Someone's given him shoes but he has no feet...

Today I was offered a job in a different department of the firm I've been temping at for the past three months. When I told the HR adviser I'd accepted a position elsewhere, she was obviously disappointed. She said the solictors in the new department (whom I'd met with yesterday) were "excited" at the prospect of having me join the team. Aw. It feels a bit like when a date wants to see you again, but you don't feel the same. I like you, but...

I declined. The HR people hinted at offering more money to persuade me to stay with the firm. It's a great confidence boost to know they are keen to keep me, but my mind is made up. They said they'd be happy to have me back if my new job doesn't work out and, although I hope it does, I'm glad I'm leaving on such good terms.

I found out today my new job doesn't start until Wednesday because of the Melbourne Cup public holiday on Tuesday. Hurrah! A four day weekend for me!

5 comments:

abbeysmum said...

Congratulations on the new job, hope it is what you are looking for.
A nice walk to work, how good is that, hope it will be a photo op way to work too.Well done You !!!

Gillian said...

Great distance to work :-)
not too far, not too short....although the travel up the lift to actually get into the office will probably add another 15 mins to the trip!

Anonymous said...

good for you being in demand....long weekends are the best!!!

dam buster said...

Well well.. nice to know that you made such a good impression there. A good thing to have as a back up!
I bet you are not regretting the old job so much now?

Jayne said...

Hi abbeysmum. It's about half as far as what I have been walking to my current job up the other end of the city, but there's probaby fewer photo opps along the way. Myabe I'll have to take the long way home.

Hi Gill. Yes, it's great, although it means less exercise. I might take a detour to make the trip longer on the way home. Thankfully the lifts are split up so the one I'll catch only services floors 41 to 53.

Hey dull boy. It sure is a nice feeling - being in demand and having four days off. I had hoped to take a week off between jobs, but this will have to do me until Christmas.

Hi db. Yeah, it's nice to feel valued (although it would have been nice to hear it earlier than when I decide I'm leaving). What do you mean about not regretting the old job?