Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Big stuff, small stuff


Big news: I have a new job starting Monday at one of the biggest law firms in the country, in the area of law I've always wanted to work in (employment). Go, me!

I was surprised they offered me the role because I thought I performed poorly at the second interview (and the first interview for that matter). I can only assume my *cough* winning personality and ease with the HR people made up for the shortcomings in my answers (I'm not being harsh on myself - some of my responses were pretty lame).

It's another temporary-with-a-view-to-permanent role like I've been doing for the past three months, but hopefully I will want to stay in this one.

Other good bits: it's only a 20 minute walk from home, I'll be working high up in that building (above) that I could see my house from the other day, and I get to start at 10am some days.


From the major to the trivial...

A robust stapler that doesn't quail at fastening together a decent wad of paper is pleasing.  I won't miss too much about my current job, but I'll miss that little black stapler.  

7 comments:

Dina Roberts said...

Congratulations on the new job! That's awesome. Maybe you didn't do as bad with the interview as you imagined. Or maybe they're smart there, and realize people get nervous with interviews and don't always present their best self.

Anonymous said...

10.00am start, - that is bliss

dam buster said...

Congrats Frisky! I hope it goes well and you get the perm gig!
Steal the stapler and take it with you!

Brunswick Girl said...

Congrat that's awesome lots to be Gleeful about!

a work in progress said...

Congratulations!!! (maybe you could *souvenir* the stapler hahaahaaa! )

Jayne said...

Hi Dina. Thanks. I actualy wasn't that nervous in the interview - something about being a temp seems to lower the stakes and takes the pressure off. But I think they're probably a good judge of who's the right 'fit'.

Hey dull boy. The 10am start is great, but it means I don't finish until 6.15 and some other days I'll work 8.00-4.15. So there's upsides and downsides. The early starts are gonna be hard.

Hi db. Thanks. We'll see how it goes. Not sure I an bring myself to nick the stapler. My new firm might have good staplers anyway.

BG and AWIP - thanks guys.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Getting caught up with your news, and this is good indeed! I'll be eager to learn how it goes at the new job.