Thursday, June 23, 2016

The essence of a good life


Someone retweeted this tiny twitter story by Micro SF/F into my timeline recently and it stopped me in my tracks (or it would have if I wasn't in bed). I love it. That's the essence of a good life right there in 140 characters or less. 

Nevertheless, I'm keeping my list of 100(ish) things to do before...an as-yet-undetermined point in the near future that ISNT my last day on Earth. That is, it's NOT a bucket list. 

Another thing I found online recently that I really like (this time via Pinterest) is An Incomplete Manifesto for Growth. It consists of 43 snippets of wisdom written/distilled by designer Bruce Mau as part of the Manifesto Project. It springs from a design/creativity context, but much of it can be applied as easily to all of life. My favourites:
  • Capture accidents. The wrong answer is the right answer in search of a different question. Collect wrong answers as part of the process. Ask different questions.
  • Drift. Allow yourself to wander aimlessly. Explore adjacencies. Lack judgment. Postpone criticism.
  • Don’t be cool. Cool is conservative fear dressed in black. Free yourself from limits of this sort.
  • Take field trips. The bandwidth of the world is greater than that of your TV set, or the Internet, or even a totally immersive, interactive, dynamically rendered, object–oriented, real–time, computer graphic–simulated environment.
  • Avoid fields. Jump fences. Disciplinary boundaries and regulatory regimes are attempts to control the wilding of creative life. They are often understandable efforts to order what are manifold, complex, evolutionary processes. Our job is to jump the fences and cross the fields.


No comments: