Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A new favourite word...and baby swans

I have a new favourite word. Snug. It's not like I heard it for the first time today, but for someone reason I've just decided that I love it. It makes me think of being wrapped up in the arms of someone you love and feeling safe and secure, or being tucked up in bed on a cold rainy night. It imparts coziness, warmth and comfort. It's also kinda funny to say.

It joins my little family of current favourite words - glee (obviously), pudding and magnanimous.
***
I headed out on my lunch break today to find people less fortunate than myself to donate the $50 I found on the footpath yesterday so that I wouldn't feel so bad about profiting from someone's loss. I was specifically looking for a young guy who sells his own hand-drawn cards out the front of a department store in the mall, but he wasn't there today. I saw someone selling The Big Issue but I already have the latest magazine. I could have just given him some money, I suppose, but I suspect most Big Issue vendors would prefer to exchange goods for money rather than being treated like a beggar. Maybe the young card seller will be there tomorrow.
I might not have achieved what I set out to do, but it got me out of the office and away from my computer for a change. It was a beautiful spring day to be out and about - not a cloud in the sky.
***

I walked home on the south side of the river tonight to check on Mr and Mrs Swan who are taking it in turns to sit on their nest near the rowing boatsheds. I first noticed they were nesting about two or three weeks ago when I walked past on my way home. I was astounded that they would build their nest in such a vulnerable area - right on the river's edge, just metres from the boatsheds which are a hive of activity in the early morning and late afternoon, and so close to a popular walking and bike path. But so far so good.



I think the swans are the same pair I saw cruising the river during last summer with two cygnets in tow. Those babies must have grown up and left home now. Did you know that swans are among the few creatures that breed for life? They also "court" for two years before they start breeding.



I have this picture on my computer desktop and every time I see it I go, "Awwww! So cute! So fluffy!" I can't wait for the eggs to hatch or to see the cygnets hitching a ride on their parents' backs as they swim in the river - that's what the cygnets do when they're tiny.

Anyone want to share their favourite words with me?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

back home in england in ye olden days, old pubs used to have a teeny tiny room separate from the public bar. It was a room for ladies to drink in (our weather being far less pleasant than here, where i hear the ladies used to sit outside or in the car!) That room was called the Snug. i still remember thinking it was such a cute name when i was a lil kid and we used to visit my uncle's establishment 'The Fish Inn'

Katrina said...

I think one of my favorite words is "home". As the saying goes, "Home is where the heart is." Whenever I think of home it gives feelings of safety, warmth and comfort.

Anonymous said...

I like the word "snug" too

And like Hobbes from Calvin & Hobbes I really like the word "smock."

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite words (well, 2 words) is "endoplasmic reticulum". It's the part of a cell that is responsible for protein synthesis and I like it because it has a good rhythm, it rolls off the tongue and it sounds cute.

Earl Riser said...

Sometimes I just don`t know where my comments of your Glee appear Ms Frisky.
W.

Jayne said...

Victoria @ 8.42. It was a similar usage of the word "snug" that made my ears prick up. It was on an architecty show on the ABC and the people whose home was featured had a "snug" off their kitchen.

I wonder if I could start referring to my flat as "the snug"?

Mrs Blueballs @ 2.59 pm Yes, I agree the word "home" is very pleasing. It confers a sense of belonging. Very appealing.

Alex @ 6.40. Smock, hey? Why? Sadly, not a word one gets to use that often, I wouldn't think. Unless you're a primary school art teacher perhaps.

Stephanie @ 7.33 pm. Endoplasmic reticulum (wow, I typed that without having to refer to your post!)? Cute? Sounds a bit like a medical condition to me. You science-y types!

Earl Riser @ 6.01 am. Er...on the blog? They don't pop up immediately because I moderate them. Maybe I'll dispense with that so you can all have instant comment gratification.