Sunday, March 22, 2009

Librophilia

Canna Lilies in the Botanic Gardens today


Here is a treat for those of you who love books and libraries and old buildings as I do. Check out Librophiliac Love Letter: A Compendium of Beautiful Libraries from the blog Curious Expeditions.

How jaw droppingly magnificent are those libraries! Not only are they stupendously beautiful buildings - they have books in them!

Of course, I was very pleased to see the State Library of Victoria got a mention, even though the photo doesn't capture the magnificence of the domed reading room. It's a bit hard to squeeze so much magnificence into one photo, I suppose. No doubt all the libraries have to be seen with your own eyes to fully appreciate them.

I was directed to Librophiliac by Errata, the blog of the Wordie website.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayne, Thank you for the lovely photo of the Canna's, I always thought they were a bit ordinary, just seeing orange or red ones, but in my tropical style garden I have red, pink and pale apricot, they are very beautiful,some have striped leaves.
How are your indoor plants doing ?

Jayne said...

OH MY Gawd! Those libraries are magnificent!
How beautifully bliss *sigh*
I've adopted words, too, now lol, and shall explore the Wordies site.

In a bit of a coincidence Moscow Daily Photo is currently posting pics of the Russian State Library aka Lenin's Library.

Jayne said...

Hi Abbeysmum. The cannas are odd - they are a fairly non-descript, scraggly sort of flower close-up, on their own, but in a group they look quite spectacular.

My indoor plants are still alive. The deiffenbachia in particular is growing really well. It's unfurled several new leaves in the 6 weeks since I bought it. I might have to repot it soon.

Hi Jayne. I know! Far cry from the libraries of today (but then that goes for all modern buildings). A friend (a real librarian) emailed me an article recently about an innovative new library in England somewhere which has a layer of grass on the roof for heating/ cooling purposes and there is a hawk that keeps watch over the grass to stop birds eating the seed. And the hawk's keeper's last name is Hawkins!

Yay! Another ocincidence. Will go have a look at Moscow Daily Photo now.

Jayne said...

Hi again Jayne. I don't know about you, but when I read Moscow Daily Photo, I did it in a very lame Russion accent. Think I might explore some more of the daily photo blogs now.

Jayne said...

LOL
I know vat you mean, dahhhrlinks, I vas channeling Natasha from Rocky and Bullvinkle ;)